About Me

My photo
You have found the official blog of B. J. Drye, editor of The Stanly News & Press (SNAP), your hometown newspaper. I have been hanging out in the SNAP newsroom since 1998 and have been editor since August 2010.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

13 Years Ago

Thirteen years ago today, my first story appeared in The Stanly News & Press. It was really a commentary, but they didn't have my photo, since I wasn't officially an employee.

That first column asked "What is a sport?" I discussed different activities such as kick the can, hopscotch, stick ball and other such "sports." During that summer I wrote about dragsters, tractor pulls, disc golf, dan ball -- something I can't even remember anything about -- and lots of pro wrestling.

It was a fun summer working with the SNAP and I still sometimes still question "What is a sport?" I guess anyone can make a sport out of anything. We have covered brawl fighting events, checker tournaments, arm wrestling, chess and many other competitions.

I didn't know, however, that 13 years later we would be tweeting and blogging about events.

But it still can't beat the real thing -- The SNAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment